RolePlay Thread – Venturing Into The Ruins

Forums In-Game Forums IG Northwatch RolePlay Thread – Venturing Into The Ruins

Viewing 16 posts - 97 through 112 (of 117 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #47690
    herogoeth
    Keymaster
    @herogoeth

    Lanre chuckles at the interactions of his companions, and then moves closer to the massive golem, examining the Runes of Power. For a moment it appears as if he is going to try to climb up onto the colossus until a disapproving glare from Valdimar and Oni causes him to reconsider.

    After a period of contemplation he will loosen a leather cord on his vest and draw forth a token in the shape of a bronze compass. He then unceremoniously begins to use the bronzed disk to tap out a little tune upon the crystal, and then peers at the compass expectantly, as if in anticipation.

    At first, nothing happens, and then suddenly, nothing continues to happen.

    The would-be bard turns to his companions and shrugs. “It was worth a try.”

    #47692
    herogoeth
    Keymaster
    @herogoeth

    The careful examination of the colossus reveals that its shape might have been mutable, and as such it is exceedingly difficult to determine where the heart of the creature might have been. And yet… it does seem like something is missing. Certainly there are places where the steel has been punctured or crystal has been shattered. Stone has been broken, and a few runes of power fractured.

    As Xukkuth and Valdimarr unload their spells upon the vast creature, the same result as before is achieved, with the power of each spell being dissipated.

    As the examination continues, the pulsing light from the Runes does not increase in speed or brighten, but instead there is a sudden burst of effulgence which comes without warning. This flare is accompanied by a wave of arcane power which overwhelms the nearest adventurers, sending Xukkuth, Valdimarr, Oni, and Lanre all tumbling to the ground.

    The wiser adventurers, or those who simply happen to not be as close to the arcane guardian, can still feel the power wash over them. The space around them seems to shrink and expand simultaneously, and there is a moment of paralysis where time seems to warp and bend, although it is unclear if this lasts for a few seconds or an hour. In the aftermath, every single one of the explorers glows with his or her own light; unquestionably some kind of residue from this wave of magic. Then the light fades.

    The pulsing beat of the runes of power has halted, and it is difficult to tell if the original glimmer has diminished or simply returned to its original state. Though further experiments and exploratory attempts may be undertaken, no further reaction can be triggered from the creature, and none of the barriers can be bypassed.

    Eventually, someone will mention the dwindling supplies and it will become clear that this expedition into The Ruins of Ku’Vahl will soon be coming to an end.

    #47693
    Xukkuth d’ Barra
    Participant
    @xukkuth

    Looking at Lanre with an expression of the deepest seriousness, Xukkuth will comment, “No, I’m not completely sure it was.”

    #47694
    herogoeth
    Keymaster
    @herogoeth

    Lanre will pick himself up off of the ground and put his hands in front of himself defensively.
    “Xukkuth, I’m absolutely certain that the whole arcane explosion thing had nothing to do with my modest attempts to trigger my compass.” He gestures towards Valdimarr as he speaks, and places his hand gently on the stone of the colossus, “Its way more likely that it had something to do with you and Valdimar casting so much magic on the poor little guy. That’s what caused the pulsing lights in the first place.”

    #47695
    Valdimarr
    Participant
    @valdimarr

    Valdimarr will dig through his pouch and pull out some basic components commonly used with the make a record spell and begin to get the best angle possible.
    “I summon the wisdom of the ages to make a record.”
    With that Valdimarr will return the components to his pouch and sigh in dissappointment.
    “Looks like we’re going to need to do some serious research and questing and come back to this place later. I think I remember hearing of a ‘heart’ of sorts that was somewhat of a power source for The Guardian, though I don’t recall the specifics. Anyone else know of any leads we can work off of?”

    #47696
    Valdimarr
    Participant
    @valdimarr

    Valdimarr will seem deep in thought for a moment and then suddenly scream.
    “Those mother… those shady dudes stole his heart! We’re going to hunt them down and kill them. Is anyone close with that Falconcrest dragon that specializes in finding things?”

    #47697
    herogoeth
    Keymaster
    @herogoeth

    The Adventurers of Northwatch will exit the hidden chamber as they continue to discuss what they discovered below. Upon arriving on the surface, they encounter a light misting of rain falling from the edge of the storm clouds which have been steadily approaching, though the darkest part of the storm still lies in the distance.

    The rain is not unpleasant at this point, for it simply serves to cool the day. However, maps and notes do not often do well in such weather, and so rather than attempt to collect more information about the Ruins, the group does their best to make good progress eastward.

    For a while, there is a halt to the rainfall, and the explorers make excellent time. Luck is on their side, it seems. Some of the pathways which they used during the morning are still in place, and other safe passages open up before them as if hastening them away to safety. By time the sun sets, they have covered a very impressive distance. They make camp under the last slivers of fading daylight, holding up inside the remaining sturdy section of a collapsed building which once served as some kind of garrison, centuries ago.

    When night falls, a few of the adventurers have difficulty sleeping. Perhaps this is because their dreams are filled with visions of the terrible monsters which they have encountered in the ruins, or perhaps because they are simply too energized by the discoveries which they have made during this expedition. For some, they are simply kept awake by the sound of thunder.

    It rolls in from the east, low and vociferously loud as lightning bursts in the sky above. Those few who find sleep truly evading them seek the shelter of a broken stone ledge located in the collapsed section of their building. They gather there to peer out into the storm, watching the lightning dance.

    Then their eyes open wide, with either terror or awe.

    The creature which seems to dominate the stormy scene before them is vast and terrifying, with teeth like longswords, and claws that could tear apart a suit of strong armor as if it were made of sackcloth. In the darkness of the storm, it is a massive beast which seems almost shapeless as it moves between the shadowed fallen towers to the north of the garrison, and yet its eyes seem to shine as if burning with an ancient eldritch fire.

    When the lightning strikes, there can no question about what they are witnessing. In the night the creature’s scales are the color of blood, shimmering and reflecting the light. Its wings are great awnings against the pouring rain. And those with keen eyes can see the powerful denizens of the ruins fleeing in all directions; fleeing from the dragon.

    In an explosion of terrible force, the immense dragon leaps upon one of the fallen towers and then pounces into the air. Its great wings carry it as it circles slowly in the night sky, searching.

    #47573
    Xukkuth d’ Barra
    Participant
    @xukkuth

     At the sight of a Dragon, in True Form, Xukkuth will stand from his resting spot, his silver eyes transfixed on the great Being. Slow, but with purpose, the Shadow of the Vallahorien will silently step out from the shelter into the thunder and rain. With one hand, he grips the Draconic bracelet around his wrist, while the other hangs at his side, the emblazoned shape of a tree with the stars above evident despite the splatter of rain.

    #47698
    Valdimarr
    Participant
    @valdimarr

    Valdimarr will gaze at the sight of the dragon, stand, and then open his mouth as if to shout, but will stop himself before making a sound. He will then turn to Xukkuth.
    “Do you think that’s the ghost of Ku’Vahl?”

    #47574
    Chant
    Participant
    @briel-mouser

    Unable to sleep with the sound of thunder over head, Briel will stay awake pondering the events of the past few hours. But the sight above her causes her to cry out in fear as she dashes to where the others are watching, nearly crashing into Xukkuth. She stands behind the dark elf with her dagger clutched in her hand and panic in her eyes.

    “It won’t eat us, will it? I’m only half your sizes! It won’t think me much more than a snack. What on earth is that thing?”

    #47575
    Xukkuth d’ Barra
    Participant
    @xukkuth

    Briel and Valdimarr’s questions fall upon dead ears, as Xukkuth continues to stare up, eyes widened, his consciousness inside of itself. Oddly, the veins in his neck and arms begin to bulge and small drops of blood begin to drip from his nose.

    #47699
    Zan
    Participant
    @zan

    Sonya peers out from the shelter with caution. At the sight of the dragon her eyes widen and she backs up quickly to hide from creature. When Xukkuth leaves to go into the rain Sonya makes a wild grab for him but misses. She curses and seems to be struggling with herself to either stay in the shelter or risk leaving its confines to retrieve the xelaque before he is spotted. She finally leans forward and angrily hisses at the elf in a low whisper.

    “Xukkuth! Xukkuth! Get back in here. Risk us to your dragon fetish and I will end you!”

    She glances up at the sky where the massive beast circles and bites her bottom lip nervously.

    “Xukkuth! Hurry up!”

    #47576
    Becca
    Participant
    @selphiebaka

    Orthia pulls lightly on her bow sting as she judges the distance. As it comes closer she comes close to losing an arrow and then thinks better of it. Muttering under her breath about stupid dragons.

    #47577
    Brandon
    Participant
    @bbraith

    Oni stands with his hands clutching his chest. He begins to hum an ancient dragon song, while rocking slightly on the balls of his feet. Shadows form around his feet as he considers going invisible. The humming becomes softer and softer as the beast moves out of sight.

    #47700
    herogoeth
    Keymaster
    @herogoeth

    Lanre watches as the towering creature takes flight, quietly pressing himself further back into the shadows as he witnesses the great red dragon initiate its search.

    He seems both intrigued and fearfully concerned when Oni begins humming, and whispers “He isn’t looking for us, is he?”

    #47701
    Valdimarr
    Participant
    @valdimarr

    Valdimarr will turn to his brother.
    “I believe that he is looking for those who took the Guardian’s heart and not us.”

Viewing 16 posts - 97 through 112 (of 117 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar