NPC Rewards Brainstorm (2019)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Staff Director
    Participant
    @mythic-realms

Spring 2019 NPC Rewards

NPC Rewards

The following are the rewards that Mythic Realms gives to players who NPC an event from beginning to end. This is one of the many ways we try to say thank you to all of those who step up and help make the game so fantastic. Thank you!

Half Day Adventure – Gain 2 Skill Points, 4 Mythic Points, and one of the following:

• 2 Additional Skill Points
    • $5 in Mythic Realms Credit
    • An Advantaged Research Roll*

Full Day Adventure – Gain 2 Skill Points, 4 Mythic Points, and one of the following:

• 2 Additional Skill Points
    • $5 in Mythic Realms Credit

Overnighter Event – Gain 4 Skill Points, 8 Mythic Points, and one of the following:

• 4 Additional Skill Points
    • $10 in Mythic Realms Credit

Weekender Event – Gain 6 Skill Points, 12 Mythic Points, Half-Price food at the Tavern, and one of the following:

• 6 Additional Skill Points
    • $15 in Mythic Realms Credit
    • Two Advantaged Research Rolls*

Note 1: In addition to the rewards mentioned above, bonus Mythic Points are almost always awarded to players who NPC multiple times in a given month, and are also often given to players who go the extra mile when NPCing. We also have a bonus MP program that grants additional MP for people who NPC multiple events in a month on a scaling basis. 2 MP for 1 event, 6 MP for 2 events, 12 MP for 3 events, 20 MP for 4 events, and 30 MP for 5 events. This is in addition to any already received on the module, so it is a great way for people to earn up for those pesky item renewals.

Note 2 Players with Basic Memberships that include 2019, also gain +1 MP per time they NPC. Players with Supporter Memberships that include 2019, also gain +1 SP every time they NPC.

Note 3 Players who NPC a portion of a Weekender are eligible for attendance to a special late-night Appreciation Module on that same Weekender.

*Immediately make an Artifice or Ritual Research/Proficiency Roll for an existing character without spending any coin, using any existing % increases that the character would have access to if they were PCing this even with their own equipment (Including any approved Mentor benefits) and add a +10% Gear Increase to the chance of success. Please be aware that existing Gear Increases do not stack with this +10%. Note: If this option is chosen, and the player has also decided to pay for their production (or has prepaid for the event) they do not gain an additional Research/Proficiency Roll, though they do gain the +10% [Gear Increase] and they do not need to pay the silver coin cost for making the Research/Proficiency Roll.

Hello folks, your Volunteer Staff Team has received a fair amount of feedback requesting new discussion of NPC rewards, and we’re excited to hear what you have to say. No changes are planned at this point, this is just a jumping off point for discussions.

So tell us: what sort of Rewards that we offer that you like, which ones are lackluster to you if there were changes, what kinds Rewards or even just NPC-side experiences would you like to see?

Feel free to let us know what else is on your mind involving this topic and what would encourage you to NPC more often or have more fun doing so!

• This topic was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by Staff Director.
    Staff Director
    Participant
    @mythic-realms

We’re reaching out for comment again!

Still no planned change but in autumn, the volunteer staff team tends to review best practices, so ideas in advance are welcome!

Travis Emery
    Participant
    @krow

I think the rewards for NPCing are fine. As a player who PCs and NPCs regularly I have enjoyed the benefits gained from these extra rewards quite a few times.

However, as an observer I have noticed the severe decrease in NPC sign up.
    I think instead of from a NPC reward perspective we need to find out from out players what is making NPCing less appealing to them over the years? I know I have personally heard the excuse “I pay to be here to play a character, not to NPC”.
    We need to find out what is causing this mentality, because if that is how people feel, then no amount of “NPC rewards” will get them to feel differently.

Perhaps we could look into getting new/better costuming so that when being several different creatures, as an NPC, you get to look and feel the part rather then a 6’5″ 330lb man who has to describe every 5 minutes to each passerby that “I look like a tiny injured hyena”.
    There have got to be some inexpensive and easily maintained ways to have plenty of diversified looks instead of just a red tabard with DEMON written across the front.

Other thoughts?

— Travis

"You know nothing of passion. When your rage can sunder mountains, you may speak to me of passion."
    -- Krowthus Quince of the Clan of the Bear, summer 215

Travis Emery
    Participant
    @krow

Also, on the same train of NPCing.

Last night I was called out for hiding with a blue headband at night and it not being a glowing headband.

As NPCs, we work with the tools we are given.
    If module runners are not supplied with glowing headbands to give the NPCs to use during a particular encounter where they are supposed to be hidden, then how are we held accountable as NPCs?
    As I understand it, modules and their runners are planned well ahead of time, with the odd exception for emergencies, so there should be no reason to have a “we didn’t know you needed these” from either end when deciding what gear needs to be brought to each event.

Am I expected to supply my own glowing headbands at every event that I NPC?

If Mythic needs to buy these things to have on hand with our NPC gear, I know where we can get the glowing ones for $2-3 each, so having say 10 of each color on hand would not be that big of an expense and would drastically increase the value of gameplay so there is no need to go out-of-game to berate an NPC over something they had no control of in the first place.

Again, just my opinions and thoughts on paper.

— Travis

"You know nothing of passion. When your rage can sunder mountains, you may speak to me of passion."
    -- Krowthus Quince of the Clan of the Bear, summer 215

Zan
    Participant
    @zan

For me, it’s FoMo (fear of missing out)
    If I am not helping in a story line or running a plot line of my own, i tend to PC.
    I hate the idea of missing out on plot, a story line and want to investigate, or information that pertains to something I’m working on.

Zan

Sitka
    Participant
    @the-nameless-one

I find it more physically rigorous to NPC, as well as less mentally engaging. NPCing is also an activity that triggers my anxiety rather than relieving it the way PCing tends to.

Kat

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar